Friday, June 18, 2010

6/19- Fed in order to feed Jn. 21:15-19

First, let me say Praise God- for this trip. It was a growing, challenging experience for me. It was different and better because I felt surrounded by my church and family friends.

So, second- thanks to those who were brave enough and sacrificed their time, energy, and vacation to come on what I think is one of the most meaningful trips in the world.


Third, want to link you to most of my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/109297634264283782385/IsraelTrip2010#

Fourth want to think about a little devotion: I keep remembering Peter's primacy, and some of the words of Reverend Kathryn Coxe- that God calls us to do something for him.

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
16 Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!" (John 21:15-19)

Jesus fed Peter- but then asked Peter to feed others-spiritually. It was very similar to when Jesus first called Peter with a miraculous catch- and then told them to leave their nets and become fishers of people.
We/I have learned a lot on our trip- we have been inspired- but hopefully we can now pass that light- that inspiration on to others. We are fed in order to feed. Jesus also pointed out that Peter would face a cross. We all will face crosses- but hopefully we can remember God's provision and help along the way.

This Sunday, during the Sunday School hour at Lake Murray Presbyterian, we will have a presentation of the trip. I invite all who can to join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment